Doriana Cosgrove, M.D. is the owner and director of Desert Med Aesthetics. She founded DMA in 2004 in order to integrate her knowledge of anesthesia with skin care procedures. Now, Doriana concentrates on providing the highest quality results and the most pleasant experiences available for her patients.
- Completed an internship in General Surgery at University of Southern California (USC)
- Completed a residency in Anesthesiology at Loma Linda University
- Board Certified in Anesthesiology
- Member of the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS)
- Practiced at Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs for 16 years.
Blunt Tip Cannula for Filler Injections
Dermal filler injections are some of the most popular cosmetic procedures and are performed almost daily at Desert Med Aesthetics. Blunt tip cannulas provide Dr.Doriana Cosgrove with a new, innovative filler injection technique.
Traditionally a needle is used for filler injections, Juvederm Voluma and Radiesse which can be painful and often causes tissue damage and bruising. Dr.Doriana Cosgrove, uses blunt-tip cannulas to achieve the same results without any of the drawbacks associated with needle techniques. Like a needle, the cannula has a hollow bore, but unlike the needle, it does not have a beveled sharp tip, instead it has a blunt rounded end.
The blunt-tip cannulas come in different sizes and are more flexible than a needle, which results in significantly less pain during the procedure and a vast reduction in bruising after the injections, decreasing social downtime.
Using the blunt-tip cannula is especially beneficial for injections around the eyes. Filler injections around the eye were previously difficult to perform with a needle because it caused too much trauma to the delicate area. With the blunt-tip cannula Dr.Cosgrove can safely and more effectively treat the eye area without the patient experiencing excessive bruising post-treatment.
Another great advantage of blunt-tip cannulas over needles is that Dr. Cosgrove is able to treat a larger surface area from a single injection site. For example, she is now able volumize the entire lip or cheek area using just one puncture site.
By using the blunt-tip cannula in filler injections, Dr.Cosgrove is able to provide patients with better results. The advantages of using a blunt-tip cannula over a needle for injections are truly in the patients’ best interest. The advantages include:
- Safety: Blunt-tip cannula significantly reduces trauma to the tissue and decreases the risk of bruising.
- Comfort: Patients experience less discomfort and pain with the blunt-tip cannula.
- Recovery: The social downtime needed as a result of bruising and swelling from needles is practically eliminated.
- Value: Fillers can be administered with greater precision so the results are more natural. Additionally, less product is needed to treat most areas when using the blunt-tip cannula.
- Flexibility: Cannulas allow access to virtually any area of the facial anatomy for improvement with fillers. Previously hard to treat areas are easily corrected using this technique.